The question I get asked most often is obviously, “What’s the difference between pancetta and prosciutto?” But a close second is, “What can I do to express my love and support of the unique and awesome art LATM puts out in the world? How does stand-up comedy relate to the major political struggles of our day?” That’s two questions, but now I have one answer.
Laughter Against the Machine plan to bring our comedy tour nationwide and make a unique tour documentary. We want to go to the most polarized and dysfunctional places in America. We’ll meet people on the front lines, try to figure out what’s going on, and bring humor to the people who need it the most. We’re like a comedic peacekeeping mission, like Doctors Without Borders, but with jokes instead of medicine, like a USO Tour of Tolerance.
We’ve booked shows this fall in Madison, Dearborn, Phoenix, Washington, DC, New Orleans, and back to Oakland. We’re also adding Chicago for good measure.
But the catch is that we need to raise $20,000 on Kickstarter to get out the door. Please check us out here, make a donation and get cool stuff, like your name in the credits of the film or Kamau’s autographed CD or swag from a rockstar (seriously). We have less than 60 days to get this done, and if we don’t raise $20,000 by the deadline, we don’t get anything. Without your support NOW, we have to cancel theaters, lose our deposits, and shelve the documentary. Donate here.
Here are some ways you can help:
1. Donate to the Kickstarter campaign. Check out the cool thank-you gifts on the site.
2. Donate soon! The sooner we reach our goal, the more we can focus on the funny.
3. Spread the word about this unique project on your facebook, twitter, google+, blog, email list, or, you know, personal conversations with live humans.
4. If you can’t afford to make a large donation, but want to support the campaign, please consider hosting a house party. You could invite 10 friends to a dinner/brunch and ask them to donate $10 each to the campaign. We’ll send you a preview stand-up DVD you can use as a hook for the event.
5. If you are able to donate $500 or more, please contact me about being a major donor and/or making a challenge grant to encourage other small donations.